BIM: Impro organized
4 November, 12:00 – 13:00
Thijs Nissen, Sven Rozier (board member)
BIM stands for Beroepsvereniging van Improviserende Musici, which translates as Professional Association of Improvising Musicians. Are you a member yet? Thijs Nissen and board member Sven Rozier will give an overview of BIM’s activities and answer all your questions.
Thijs Nissen graduated from Codarts Rotterdam in 2018 as a (jazz) saxophonist. Since then, he has been playing with his Thijs Nissen Trio. With the Closer to Jazz foundation, which he founded with partner and drummer Mitchell Damen, he organises all kinds of activities aimed at bringing swinging jazz music to (Rotterdam) people.
Sven Rozier is a drummer, trained at Codarts in Rotterdam. He is also the marketing and communications manager at Amersfoort World Jazz Festival and Dutch Performers House.
From the website, the BIM Mission statement:
“BIM is dedicated to the interests of jazz and improvised music and musicians in the Netherlands. It strives for more playing areas and a better social/economic position for artists. Since 1971, we have been involved in discussions about art policy in the Netherlands; with government funds, the music industry, venues and interest groups.
We work on:
- Socio-economic status of musicians (better rates, salaries, working conditions and contracts)
- Employment (venues, festivals, playgrounds)
- Exchange of Knowledge
- Cooperation and consultation with funds, employers and interest groups
- Lobbying and financing of the scene as a whole
- Research and knowledge about the sector
- Actions and events – Visibility and public outreach”